Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tender steaks with a savory french onion and mushroom sauce, served over french bread. Fabulous! Taken from Cooking Light. Note: not sure why, but the nutritional information varies greatly between Zaar and Cooking Light. (Zaar is much higher in calories and fat content). You can decide if you'd like to take the plunge or not :)
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups button mushrooms, halved (caps only)
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (4 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 4 (1 ounce) French bread, sliced and toasted
- Melt 1 tsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and mushrooms; saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in water and consomme, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Bring to a boil; cover and cook 10 minutes.
- Remove onion mixture from pan.
- Combine thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Rub the thyme mixture over steaks.
- Melt 1 tsp butter in pan over medium-high heat.
- Add steaks; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove steaks from pan; keep warm.
- Add wine to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Stir in onion mixture; bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute.
- Return steaks to pan; simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Place one toast slice in each of 4 shallow serving bowls, and top each slice with steak.
- Spoon the onion mixture over each serving.
- Serve immediately.