1/2 Photos of Beef Tenderloin With Whole Grain Mustard & Tarragon Sauce
From the Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. Published in Bon Appetit, April 2003. The steaks are served atop sauteed spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup canned low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 (5 ounce) bags Baby Spinach
- 4 (7 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1Heat 1 T oil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cover and cook until soft and brown, about 3 minutes. Add stock, wine, and brandy. Boil until slightly reduced, 6 minutes. Add cream; boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 6 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- 2Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add 1 bag of spinach and toss until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add remaining spinach and toss just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 3Heat remaining 1/2 T oil in another heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Saute to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare.
- 4Divide spinach among 4 plates. Place 1 steak on each mound of spinach. Add sauce, mustard, and tarragon to skillet steaks cooked in; boil until slightly thickened, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, about 1 minute. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin With Whole Grain Mustard & Tarragon Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (470 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1045.8
- Calories from Fat 661
- Total Fat 73.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 224.7 mg
- Sodium 4711.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.7 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 60.2 g