Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Ritz-Carlton, San Francisco. Published in Bon Appetit, April 2003. The steaks are served atop sauteed spinach.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup canned low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 (5 ounce) bags Baby Spinach
- 4 (7 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (each about 1 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- Heat 1 T oil in heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; cover and cook until soft and brown, about 3 minutes. Add stock, wine, and brandy. Boil until slightly reduced, 6 minutes. Add cream; boil until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 6 minutes. Set sauce aside.
- Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add 1 bag of spinach and toss until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Add remaining spinach and toss just until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/2 T oil in another heavy large skillet over high heat. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Saute to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for rare.
- Divide spinach among 4 plates. Place 1 steak on each mound of spinach. Add sauce, mustard, and tarragon to skillet steaks cooked in; boil until slightly thickened, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan, about 1 minute. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.
Fabulous! I reduced my sauce too much....it just disappeared when I put it in the hot skillet and added the mustard! Next time, I'll leave much more sauce. My fault, not the recipes! This is absolutely delicious and makes a great presentation. Perfect Sunday dinner! Thanks for a great recipe!
DEFINATELY restaurant quality! This was an ABSOLUTELY terrific recipe! I must confess, was WEARY about using white wine AND brandy in sauce, But the alcohol cooks off of course! Simply, elegant, JUST like me, Have I mentioned this is a GREAT recipe? THANKS!