1/2 Photos of Beef Tenderloin With Roasted Shallots
Chef Booshman's Note:
This recipe is modified from Christine's at Allrecipes.com. It is a gourmet-style meal that is great for a dinner party with the boss. A little time consuming but will make a novice look like a pro. The shallot sauce alone is worth the recipe. I made this and doubled the recipe. No leftovers. Will have to triple it next time! You can prepare the shallots a day ahead of time (especially helpful if you plan on serving this for a holiday dinner).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 lb shallot, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth (I use low-sodium, otherwise it's too salty)
- 3/4 cup port wine (I used Mountain Burgundy from a box and it came out fine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 lbs beef tenderloin, trimmed (same cut filet mignon comes from)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F In a roasting pan, toss shallots with oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2Roast until shallots are deep brown and very tender. Set the timer for 15 minutes, stir, turn over. Repeat 3 more times for a total of 60 minutes.
- 3In a large saucepan, combine beef broth and wine. Bring to a boil. Cook over high heat until the volume is reduced by half, about 30 minutes (mine took 20). Whisk in tomato paste. Set aside.
- 4Pat beef dry. Tie up roast to that it will cook evenly. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. (Sure seems like a lotta salt, use Salt-Free Montreal Steak Seasoning instead). In a large roasting pan, set over medium heat on the stove top, sauté bacon until crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium high heat, about 7 minutes.
- 5Transfer pan to oven. Roast beef at 350°F until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125°F for medium rare, about 25 minutes/pound. (Start checking with a meat thermometer after 1 hour). Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.
- 6Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place pan over high heat on stove top. Add broth mixture, and bring to boil, stir to scrape up any browned bits. Transfer to a medium saucepan, and bring to simmer. Mix 1-1/2 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture, and simmer until sauce thickens. Whisk in remaining butter. Stir in roasted shallots, and crumble the bacon. Season with salt (?) and pepper.
- 7Cut beef into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spoon some sauce over.
- 8Serve with a green salad and roasted vegetables.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin With Roasted Shallots
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.7
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 152.9 mg
- Sodium 244.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 41.2 g