Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Served with Vanilla Carrots. I got this recipe from the Hemispheres Magazine on Continental Airlines, Aug. 2011, pg 136.
- 20 ounces beef tenderloin steaks
- 1 cup full-bodied red wine
- 2 tablespoons shallots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 thyme, sprig
- 4 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup unsalted beef stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Place wine, shallots, garlic, and thyme in a saucepan and reduce to almost syrup.
- In a separate pan, saute mushrooms, 1 tbsp butter, and sugar until caramelized.
- Add stock and reduce by 50 percent.
- Pour wine reduction into the mushrooms, remove thyme sprig, add remaining butter and reserve over low heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper.
- Sear in oiled pan over high heat for 5 to 7 minutes each side or until medium rare.
- Drizzle sauce over tenderloin when serving (can be placed in a ramekin on the plate).