Beef Tenderloin With Peppercorn Crust and Whiskey Sauce
- FOR SAUCE:.
- Brown beef bones, shallots, garlic and carrots in heavy large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Add whiskey, increase heat and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Mix in tomato paste, thyme, and peppercorns. Add both stocks and boil until liquid is reduced to 1 cup, about 20 minutes. Strain through fine sieve into heavy small saucepan. Season to taste with salt. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate).
- FOR BEEF:.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Mix first 4 ingredients on large plate. Brush 1 tablespoon oil over beef. Roll beef in peppercorn mixture, coating completely. Season with salt.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of beef registers 130ºF for rare, about 30 minutes.
- Let beef stand 10 minutes.
- Slice beef and arrange on plates. Bring sauce to simmer. Spoon over beef.