Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Yummy, easy meal. Goes great with green veggies like broccoli.
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (or 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar plus 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) center-cut boneless beef tenderloin
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white peppercorns
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black peppercorns
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (or 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar plus 1 teaspoon sugar)
- black peppercorns, coarsely crushed (to garnish)
- mustard seeds, coarsely crushed (to garnish)
- In a cup, combine vinegar and oil; rub mixture onto tenderloin.
- Season generously with salt; let stand 15 minutes.
- Coarsely crush mustard seeds and peppercorns in a blender or food processor.
- Roll beef in crushed mixture, pressing it into the surface to coat.
- Oil hot grid of grill (to prevent sticking).
- Grill meat, on a covered grill, until a meat thermometer inserted in the center almost registers 145°F for medium-rare, 160°F for medium, or 170°F well done (16-24 minutes for medium-rare, depending on size and thickness; add an additional 5 minutes for every 10°F).
- Flip over halfway through cooking.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- In a saucepan, combine beef broth and whipping cream, and bring to a boil.
- Boil gently until reduced to about 1 cup (sauce will be thick enough to coat a spoon).
- Remove from heat; stir in butter, a little at a time, until all the butter is melted.
- Stir in mustard and vinegar.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppercorns and mustard seeds.
- Slice roast and serve with a few spoonfuls of sauce.