Prep 50 mins
Cook 20 mins
Makes a wonderful, tasty appetizer, a little time consuming but delicious. from B H & G
- 6 ounces boneless beef tenderloin or 6 ounces beef sirloin steaks, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 8 2⁄3 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese (3 ounces) or 3⁄4 cup your favourite cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- In a medium bowl, combine beef, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; toss to coat meat with spices, Cover and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- For filling, in a large fry pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil for 2 minutes.
- Add beef; cook and stir for 2 minutes more (beef may be slightly pink).
- Drain meat mixture in a colander; cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil; grease the foil. Set aside.
- Unfold puff pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured surface, roll into a 12 x 12 inch square.
- Cut into sixteen 3 inch squares.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and the water.
- Brush edges of squares with some of the egg mixture.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the beef filling in the centre of each square.
- Sprinkle some of the cheese over the beef mixture on each square.
- Fold pastry over filling, stretching pastry slightly if necessary, to form triangles.
- Press edges together tightly to seal.
- Place triangles on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops with remaining egg mixture.
- Prick tops with a fork.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm.
- MAKE AHEAD: Prepare turnovers as directed, do not bake.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Bake as directed, or to freeze, prepare and bake triangles as directed and cool on a wire rack.
- Place turnovers in a freezer container.
- Seal, label and freeze.
- To reheat, preheat oven to 375°F, place frozen triangles on a baking sheet lined with foil, bake about 10 minutes or until heated through, Serve warm.