1 hr 10 mins
Makes a wonderful, tasty appetizer, a little time consuming but delicious. from B H & G
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces boneless beef tenderloin or 6 ounces beef sirloin steaks, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 8 2/3 ounces frozen puff pastry, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese (3 ounces) or 3/4 cup your favourite cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- 1In a medium bowl, combine beef, chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper; toss to coat meat with spices, Cover and let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- 2For filling, in a large fry pan, heat oil over medium heat.
- 3Cook and stir onion and garlic in hot oil for 2 minutes.
- 4Add beef; cook and stir for 2 minutes more (beef may be slightly pink).
- 5Drain meat mixture in a colander; cool slightly.
- 6Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 7Line a baking sheet with foil; grease the foil. Set aside.
- 8Unfold puff pastry sheet and place on a lightly floured surface, roll into a 12 x 12 inch square.
- 9Cut into sixteen 3 inch squares.
- 10In a small bowl, beat together the egg and the water.
- 11Brush edges of squares with some of the egg mixture.
- 12Place 1 tablespoon of the beef filling in the centre of each square.
- 13Sprinkle some of the cheese over the beef mixture on each square.
- 14Fold pastry over filling, stretching pastry slightly if necessary, to form triangles.
- 15Press edges together tightly to seal.
- 16Place triangles on prepared baking sheet.
- 17Brush tops with remaining egg mixture.
- 18Prick tops with a fork.
- 19Bake about 20 minutes or until golden.
- 20Serve warm.
- 21MAKE AHEAD: Prepare turnovers as directed, do not bake.
- 22Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- 23Bake as directed, or to freeze, prepare and bake triangles as directed and cool on a wire rack.
- 24Place turnovers in a freezer container.
- 25Seal, label and freeze.
- 26To reheat, preheat oven to 375°F, place frozen triangles on a baking sheet lined with foil, bake about 10 minutes or until heated through, Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin Turnovers
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 148.7
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 113.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef tenderloin