Kay Demonbren's Note:
From the October 2006 issue of Bon Appetit magazine. This tastes sooo good; you've just got to try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 (7 -8 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup cognac or 1/2 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons port wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1Preheat oven to 250.
- 2Sprinkle steaks on all sides with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- 4Add steaks and sear until brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- 5Reduce heat to medium-low.
- 6Add 3 Tbs butter, garlic, thyme, and rosemary to skillet.
- 7Cook steaks to desired doneness, turning occasionally and basting with pan juices, about 12 minutes for medium-rare.
- 8Transfer steaks to small rimmed baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- 9Pour contents of skillet into small bowl.
- 10Return 3 Tbs of drippings from bowl to same skillet and place over high heat.
- 11Add shallots and saute 2 minutes.
- 12Add Cognac and Port and stir 1 minute, scraping up any browned bits.
- 13Add broth and boil until sauce is reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes.
- 14Whisk in Dijon mustard, then remaining 3 Tbs cold butter, 1 Tbs at a time.
- 15Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 16Arrange steaks on plates; whisk any accumulated juices from baking sheet into sauce.
- 17Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin Steaks With Mustard-Cognac Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 787.7
- Calories from Fat 595
- Total Fat 66.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 171.4 mg
- Sodium 192.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 38.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs