1/3 Photos of Beef Tenderloin Steak With Mushrooms and Madeira
Beef tenderloin is also called Filet Mignon or Porterhouse, this is an amazing steak recipe that can be doubled if desired. Next to grilled steak this is my favorite recipe to use for a top quality cut of beef steak, just try this, and it will become your favorite! I have also used dry sherry in place of the Madeira wine, and it worked fine, but Madeira is better.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 14 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced (can use more)
- 2 -3 tablespoons shallots, finely chopped (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 -2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 (5 ounce) beef tenderloin steaks (about 1-inch thick)
- 1/2 cup madeira wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon flour, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon melted butter, to create a roux
- salt and pepper
- 1Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat (I make this on my electric frypan).
- 2Add in the mushrooms; saute until tender (about 10 minutes).
- 3Add in shallots with HALF the minced garlic; saute for about 3 minutes.
- 4Add in thyme and season with salt and pepper; transfer the mushrooms to a bowl.
- 5Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter with 2 tablespoons oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6Season steaks with salt and pepper, and add to skillet.
- 7Cook the steaks to desired doneness (I cook them about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare).
- 8Transfer the steaks to a plate.
- 9Add in remaining 1/4 cup shallots and garlic to the same skillet; sate for about 2 minutes.
- 10Add in Madeira and boil until reduced by half (this should take about 3 minutes).
- 11Add in broth and boil until the mixture is reduced to about 2/3 cup (this should take about 6 minutes).
- 12Add in cream and boil for about 2 minutes.
- 13This is optional, do this only for a thicker sauce: in a small cup using a small whisk, mix together melted butter with 1 tablespoon flour; add to the simmering cream sauce; stir until thickened.
- 14Stir in the mushroom mixture, and then season the sauce with salt and pepper.
- 15Return the steaks to skillet and cook until heated through (about 1 minute).
- 16Transfer to plates and spoon the sauce over.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin Steak With Mushrooms and Madeira
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.1
- Calories from Fat 595
- Total Fat 66.2 g
- Saturated Fat 30.4 g
- Cholesterol 179.8 mg
- Sodium 404.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 30.2 g