Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Your guests will rave when they taste this beef tenderloin --- The cooking time stated is for a 3-pound beef tenderloin and cooked to medium-rare but more on the rare side, you might want to cook it a bit longer or use a thermometer for perfect results. This will feed up to 6-8 people if you are planning on serving more then prepare two separate recipes for 2 beef tenderloins and roast in two separate baking dishes. Prep time includes bringing the beef down to almost room temperature, but it is only estimated.
- 1360.77 g beef tenderloin (the beef tenderloin can be a bit bigger)
- 14.79 ml olive oil (can use a little more)
- 2.46-4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 118.29 ml butter (no subs!)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 226.79 g packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml dried Italian seasoning
- 4.92 ml louisiana hot sauce
- 0.25 ml black pepper (or use up to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 4.92-9.85 ml flour
- Line a medium roasting pan with foil.
- Lightly coat the tenderloin with olive oil; place on a plate and let sit out on the counter until almost room temperature (this might take several hours, this is an important step so do not omit, this will relax the meat fibers and make for a more tender and juicy beef roast!).
- Season the beef with salt and black pepper (nothing else!).
- Place in the roasting pan and bake uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile while the roast is cooking; melt the 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onions slices, garlic and mushrooms; cook stirring for about 6-7 minutes.
- Add/stir in wine, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and hot sauce and pinch of black pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together beef broth and flour until completely blended and smooth; add to the wine mixture.
- Reduce the heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until the onion slices are tender.
- Remove the beef from the oven and reduce heat to 425 degrees, then top with prepared mushroom/wine sauce; return to oven for about 16-18 minutes more or to desired doneness.
- Transfer the beef to a serving platter and pour the sauce over beef or transfer to a gravy server.
- Let beef stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Just made this tonight and it was just wonderful. The recipe was pretty easy and the ingrediants were very simple. My whole family enjoyed it but especially my husband. Thanks again Kittental for another great recipe.