3 hrs 30 mins
Your guests will rave when they taste this beef tenderloin --- The cooking time stated is for a 3-pound beef tenderloin and cooked to medium-rare but more on the rare side, you might want to cook it a bit longer or use a thermometer for perfect results. This will feed up to 6-8 people if you are planning on serving more then prepare two separate recipes for 2 beef tenderloins and roast in two separate baking dishes. Prep time includes bringing the beef down to almost room temperature, but it is only estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77 g beef tenderloin (the beef tenderloin can be a bit bigger)
- 14.79 ml olive oil (can use a little more)
- 2.46-4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 118.29 ml butter (no subs!)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 14.79-29.58 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 226.79 g package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 9.85 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml dried Italian seasoning
- 4.92 ml louisiana hot sauce
- 0.25 ml black pepper (or use up to 1/4 teaspoon)
- 236.59 ml beef broth
- 4.92-9.85 ml flour
- 1Line a medium roasting pan with foil.
- 2Lightly coat the tenderloin with olive oil; place on a plate and let sit out on the counter until almost room temperature (this might take several hours, this is an important step so do not omit, this will relax the meat fibers and make for a more tender and juicy beef roast!).
- 3Season the beef with salt and black pepper (nothing else!).
- 4Place in the roasting pan and bake uncovered in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile while the roast is cooking; melt the 1/2 cup butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 6Add in onions slices, garlic and mushrooms; cook stirring for about 6-7 minutes.
- 7Add/stir in wine, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning and hot sauce and pinch of black pepper.
- 8In a small bowl whisk together beef broth and flour until completely blended and smooth; add to the wine mixture.
- 9Reduce the heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until the onion slices are tender.
- 10Remove the beef from the oven and reduce heat to 425 degrees, then top with prepared mushroom/wine sauce; return to oven for about 16-18 minutes more or to desired doneness.
- 11Transfer the beef to a serving platter and pour the sauce over beef or transfer to a gravy server.
- 12Let beef stand for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin in Mushroom-Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 856.0
- Calories from Fat 574
- Total Fat 63.8 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 235.7 mg
- Sodium 574.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 59.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried Italian seasoning