1 hr 10 mins
PSU Lioness's Note:
This is from the Favorite Brand Names Cookbook. I'm trying to get some of the recipes up here before I have to return the book to the library AGAIN. If anyone tries it, please let me know how you like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 lb) beef tenderloin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1Tie beef tenderloin roast with heavy string at 2" intervals. Combine 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper; rub on the surface of roast to season.
- 2Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add roast and garlic; cook until evenly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove roast from pan; pour off drippings.
- 3Add water, broth, bay leaf, thyme and cloves; bring to a boil.
- 4Add roast; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes. Check temperature with instant-read thermometer; temperature should register 130 degrees for rare. Do not overcook.
- 5Remove roast to serving platter. Cover tightly with plastic wrap or foil and allow to stand 10 minutes before carving. Roast will continue to rise about 10 degrees in temperature to 140 degrees for rare.
- 6While roast is finishing on platter, strain cooking liquid; reserve 2 cups.
- 7Remove Dutch oven from heat; add cornstarch and Dijon mustard, mixing to form a thick paste. Gradually add reserved cooking liquid, stirring constantly.
- 8Place Dutch oven over Medium heat; add remaining 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cook until slightly thickened, about 7 minutes.
- 9Remove strings from roast. Carve into thin slices. Serve with sauce and steamed vegetable, if desired.
- 10Note: A beef tenderloin roast will yield four 3-oz cooked servings per pound.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tenderloin Dijon
Serving Size: 1 (327 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.4
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 97.4 mg
- Sodium 902.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 32.0 g