Recipe by Jamie's Kitchen
This recipe was adapted from Saveur magazine though it was actually Entocotes au Poivre Vert (Strip Steaks with Green Peppercorn Sauce.) The sauce is what this recipe is all about the silky rich taste of this sauce is incredibly fabulous.
Top Review by claritinha1
There is something totally wrong with this recipe. The sauce never really thickened, it was way too sweet with so much port. I wasted a $20.00 bottle of good port and my guests had to eat the beef tenderloin with no sauce at all.
- 3 lbs beef tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon course black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 finely chopped shallots
- 3 cups ruby port
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup rinsed and coarse black peppercorns
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Pour and rub lemon juice all over the tenderloin.
- Season the tenderloin with the tbsp of sea salt and tsp of course black peppercorns.
- Place in oven for about 20 minutes or until internal temp is 135°F (note the temp should raise a bit still while the meat is resting to reach the temp of 145°F for med rare).
- Rest meat for about 10 minutes before cutting.
- For the sauce put the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add shallots stirring until fragrant about 30 seconds.
- Add the ruby port and bring to a boil and cook mixture until it is reduced by half. About 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add beef stock and boil until syrupy. about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat, whisk in heavy cream.
- Return to medium heat, boil gently until thickened about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the rinsed and coarsely chopped black pepper and the white wine vinegar.
- Salt to taste.
- Thicken with corn starch slurry until you can lightly coat back of spoon.
- Slice tenderloin and pour sauce over according to how you want to serve.