Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Sauce(Soos)Ti(Tee)Malice(Malees)in Haiti, is a hot sauce which is used to accompany meats, a little malice is the actual translation. I found this on caribseek.com. so that I could give you the correct amounts & quantities of the ingredients. The meat has to marinate at least four hours at room temperature. This meat dish is usually served with "Diri ak Pois Cole" or "Riz avec Pois" - rice and beans, usually kidney beans, and fried ripe plantains. Delish!
- 2 lbs boneless beef round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice, preferably sour orange
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice, preferably fresh lime, if needed substitute with lemon
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon coarse salt
Sauce Ti Malice
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh lime juice or 1 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh hot chili peppers, finely chopped, preferably Scotch Bonnet
- Combine meat, orange and lime juice in a large bowl.
- Let stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally for 4 hours.
- Transfer meat to medium saucepan, add water to cover.
- Simmer covered until meat is very tender, about 1 hour.
- Make Sauce Ti Malice, to follow.
- Drain beef; pat dry.
- Heat 1/2" oil in large skillet to 375°F.
- Fry beef, half at a time, in oil until crisp and golden brown, about 3 minutes,.
- Remove with slotted spoon, drain on paper toweling; sprinkle with salt.
- Sauce Ti Malice:.
- Mariante onions with lime juice at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain onions in a fine sieve over bowl, remove as much liquid as possible.
- Reserve marinade.
- In a heavy 10" skillet melt the butter or margarine over moderate heat.
- When foam begins to subside, add onions, stirring frequently, cook for 5 minutes, until soft and translucent, but not brown.
- Stir in chopped chilies and garlic, reduce heat to low.
- Cover the skillet tightly and cook for abou 10 minutes or until chilies are tender.
- Off heat stir in marinade and salt.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate.
- This sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for about 5-7 days.