Cook3 hrs 10 mins
I don't know about you guys but I cheat sometimes and buy taquitos from the freezer section of the grocery. I knew there had to be a way to make me feel less guilty so thus became the taquito recipe. I think you could do this with chicken also, but have yet to do it yet.
- 5 lbs roast
- onion soup mix (optional)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- garlic powder
- onion powder (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups picante sauce or 1 1⁄2 cups salsa or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 48 corn tortillas
- cheese sauce (optional)
- salsa (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- Cook roast in roasting pan (or slow cooker), pouring onion soup mix, dissolved in 1 cup water, over it.
- Cook at 325F for 34-38 minutes per pound.
- Let cool thoroughly overnight in fridge.
- Finely chop (or shred) roast beef and mix with cheddar cheese, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper, picante sauce and onion in a large bowl.
- Portion 1/4 cup mixture onto each corn tortilla in the lower 1/3 of the tortilla.
- Roll up tortilla.
- To soften tortillas, microwave between two damp paper towels for a few seconds.
- To freeze for later, simply put seam side down on cookie sheets and freeze.
- Flash freeze on wax papered covered cookie sheets.
- When firm, transfer to ziplock freezer bags.
- To Re-heat: Thaw, then lightly fry in hot oil until brown and crispy.
- To eat them now, continue with directions for frying below.
- Heat electric skillet to 300°F covering bottom with oil.
- Fry taquitos with open edge down to seal.
- Turn over fry other side.
- Serve hot with condiments.