Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Like tacos, only neater to eat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for brushing on the taquitos
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup salsa, plus more for dipping
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 flour tortillas (6-inch)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
- Heat the oven to 400º.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook them for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the beef and use a wooden spoon to break it up while it cooks and is no longer red.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the salsa, the chili powder, and the salt and pepper.
- Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring occasionaly, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile: Place the tortillas on a plate and cover them with damp paper towels.
- Microwave them until warm and pliable, about 45 seconds.
- Top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of the beef mixture, spreading it to an inch from the edges.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over beef.
- Roll up the tortillas and place them on a foil-lined baking sheet with the seam sides down. Brush taquitos lightly with vege oil, then bake them until the filling is heated through and the tortillas are lightly browned (about 8-12 minutes). Serve hot with sour cream and/or salsa.