Recipe by anitapb1
I love tamales but don't like the high price of corn husks so I created this recipe so that I could get that tamale taste without the high price.
- 1 lb chuck steaks or 1 lb roast
- mojo criollo
- 1⁄2 onion, cut into 6 chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups cornflour, Masa brand
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, Shredded
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Season beef with garlic, salt, and pepper. Pan sear until brown on both sides. Pour mojo sauce over the top, add onion, and crushed garlic, Place in a crock pot at 300F for 6 hours or until meat is falling apart. When done set aside to cool and reserve the stock from the crock pot. When cooled, chop meat finely or shred.
- Tamale Dough:.
- Mix all ingedients together until a soft dough is formed. Split the dough into 2 balls. Roll out into a round shape that will fit nicely in a tart pan or pie plate. Spray bottom of dish with cooking spray, then place dough in the bottom and press lightly so that it fits nicely in the bottom. Add shredded beef and cooked onions to the bottom so that the dough is covered. Roll out the top dough and place over the top of the beef so that you have a top and bottom crust. Bake in a 375F oven for approximately 35 minutes until dough is done. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted. Meanwhile heat enchilada sauce in a pot on the stove or in the microwave until heated through.
- Serve with heated enchilada sauce and sour cream on the side.