1/3 Photos of Beef Tamale Casserole
An easy alternative to tamales. I like to make it in my large oval casserole dish and round it up like a giant tamale. I also substitute a small can of diced green chilies for the bell pepper when I didn't have any on hand and discovered I prefer it. Muy bueno.
My Private Note
9x13 ca ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, in thick puree
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned(drained)
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Make the cornmeal layer by mixing yellow cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 4 cups water in a saucepan.
- 3Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat and then cook, stirring, until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- 5In a large skillet, cook beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic until meat is longer pink and vegetables are tender (about 5 minutes).
- 6Stir in seasonings, tomatoes, beans and corn and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- 7Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray (or large casserole dish).
- 8Spoon in meat mixture.
- 9Spread cornmeal mixture over and then sprinkle with cheese.
- 10Bake, uncovered, until bubbly and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.
- 11Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tamale Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.5
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 66.5 mg
- Sodium 873.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 24.6 g