Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From Food and Cooking of Spain, Africa and the Middle East. As suggested by one reviewer, this is good with spinach and chickpeas added into the mix.
Top Review by Sue Lau
This is wonderful! It makes a perfect stew for a cold and blustery night we are having. The flavors of this are nicely Moroccan, with just a little bit of heat. I know I would enjoy this if I added thinly sliced potatoes, and maybe adding some healthy veggies like carrot or spinach, and perhaps even some chickpeas. Very nice, and we all enjoyed! Thank you.
- 680.38-907.18 g stewing beef, cubed
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 0.25 ml turmeric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 7.39 ml paprika
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 453.59 g sweet potato
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh cilantro
- 14.79 ml butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the meat, together with the turmeric and seasoning, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the meat is evenly browned, stirring frequently.
- cover the pan tightly and cook for 15 minutes over a gentle heat, without lifting the lid.
- preheat the oven to 350.
- add the onion, chili, paprika, cayenne and cumin to the pan with just enough water to cover the meat.
- cover tightly and cook in the oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, till the meat is very tender, checking occasionally and adding extra water if necessary, to keep the stew moist.
- meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and slice them straight into a bowl of salted water to avoid discoloring.
- transfer to a pan, bring to a boil, simmer for 2-3 minutes, drain.
- stir the chopped herbs into the meat, adding a little extra water if the stew appears dry.
- arrange the potato slices over the meat and dot with butter.
- cover and cook in the oven for a further 10 minutes, till the potatoes feel very tender.
- increase the oven temp to 400.
- remove the lid of the casserole and cook in the oven or under the broiler for 5-10 minutes till the potatoes are golden.
- serve at once.