1/3 Photos of Beef Tagine With Sweet Potatoes
2 hrs 20 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Food and Cooking of Spain, Africa and the Middle East. As suggested by one reviewer, this is good with spinach and chickpeas added into the mix.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs stewing beef, cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the meat, together with the turmeric and seasoning, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the meat is evenly browned, stirring frequently.
- 2cover the pan tightly and cook for 15 minutes over a gentle heat, without lifting the lid.
- 3preheat the oven to 350.
- 4add the onion, chili, paprika, cayenne and cumin to the pan with just enough water to cover the meat.
- 5cover tightly and cook in the oven for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, till the meat is very tender, checking occasionally and adding extra water if necessary, to keep the stew moist.
- 6meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and slice them straight into a bowl of salted water to avoid discoloring.
- 7transfer to a pan, bring to a boil, simmer for 2-3 minutes, drain.
- 8stir the chopped herbs into the meat, adding a little extra water if the stew appears dry.
- 9arrange the potato slices over the meat and dot with butter.
- 10cover and cook in the oven for a further 10 minutes, till the potatoes feel very tender.
- 11increase the oven temp to 400.
- 12remove the lid of the casserole and cook in the oven or under the broiler for 5-10 minutes till the potatoes are golden.
- 13serve at once.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Tagine With Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.0
- Calories from Fat 384
- Total Fat 42.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 121.6 mg
- Sodium 181.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 33.5 g