Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you can run a can opener, you can easily prepare this delicious soup! It's a family favorite, adapted from a recipe by Jan Olpin, that's tasty, quick-to-make, and freezes excellently!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup masa harina
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Saute ground beef and onions together until meat is browned and onions are tender; drain fat from pan.
- Combine meat and onions in stockpot with remaining ingredients, except for masa harina and 3/4 cup water; simmer for thirty minutes to blend flavors.
- Shake or stir together masa harina and water to make a smooth paste; gradually stir masa paste into soup; cook and stir soup until slightly thickened.
- Place a small handful of crushed taco chips into each serving bowl, ladle soup over the chips, then top with shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
I knew I would love this recipe, this soup has so much flavor! I added in 3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic and 2 jalapeno peppers with the onions, I used chicken broth, I love this soup and look forward to making it again many more times, thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten
did not really like the end result of this soup....I do love soups and love mexican and taco type...would not do this one again
This is very tasty & super easy to put together. I made it as is but, used Â½ Cup of the masa. It was the perfect consistancy. Will definetly be making this again.