Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Adapted from a recipe at Budget Bytes. http://bit.ly/15yAWPO
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- kosher salt
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 lb wide egg noodles
- 1⁄2 cup sliced black olives
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 -3 scallions, sliced
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion and garlic with a pinch of salt; sweat until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add beef and cook, breaking beef into smaller pieces with the edge of a spoon, until browned through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, tomatoes and chiles. Stir well.
- Add beef broth and noodles. Press noodles down until they are mostly submerged. When simmering vigorously, turn heat down to a low simmer, cover pot and cook about 10 minutes, until noodles are tender. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
- When noodles are tender and liquid is mostly absorbed, add olives and season to taste with more salt and black pepper. Stir in most of the cheese until fully melted. Serve, topped with a bit more cheese and the sliced scallions.