Recipe by looneytunesfan
This recipe makes two big pans. Freeze one or both to enjoy later.
Top Review by Maito
We liked this different take on lasagna, but found out that we prefer Mexican lasagna with tortillas. I followed another reviewer and used no boil noodles and added veggies to it (an onion and red pepper for one pan), and was glad I did. I think beans would be a great addition (or substitution for the meat). I used less taco seasoning since the one I make is very hot, and a lot less cheese for our tastes. The assembly in step 5 was not that clear - I ended up making 3 layers with each of the five components. Each pan fed 4 for us. Thanks!
- 24 lasagna noodles
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 egg whites
- 2 (15 ounce) cartons ricotta cheese
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 (24 ounce) jars chunky salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites and ricotta cheese.
- Drain noodles.
- In each of two 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dishes, layer four noodles, 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, half of the beef mixture and 1-1/3 cups cheddar cheese. Top each with four noodles, 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, 1-1/2 cups salsa and 1-1/3 cups cheese. Repeat.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Bake as directed.