Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe makes two big pans. Freeze one or both to enjoy later.
- 24 lasagna noodles
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 (1 1/4 ounce) envelopes taco seasoning
- 4 egg whites
- 2 (15 ounce) cartons ricotta cheese
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 (24 ounce) jars chunky salsa
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning.
- In a small bowl, combine egg whites and ricotta cheese.
- Drain noodles.
- In each of two 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dishes, layer four noodles, 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, half of the beef mixture and 1-1/3 cups cheddar cheese. Top each with four noodles, 3/4 cup ricotta mixture, 1-1/2 cups salsa and 1-1/3 cups cheese. Repeat.
- Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months.
- Bake the second casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 2 casseroles (8 servings each).
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Bake as directed.
We liked this different take on lasagna, but found out that we prefer Mexican lasagna with tortillas. I followed another reviewer and used no boil noodles and added veggies to it (an onion and red pepper for one pan), and was glad I did. I think beans would be a great addition (or substitution for the meat). I used less taco seasoning since the one I make is very hot, and a lot less cheese for our tastes. The assembly in step 5 was not that clear - I ended up making 3 layers with each of the five components. Each pan fed 4 for us. Thanks!
This was so easy to prepare and so easy to enjoy!! ;) Made half the recipe and added some red bell peppers I needed to use up. Could add any kind of veggies (which I would do next time). Didn't cook the noodles first, just put the whole thing in the oven for about an hour. Voila! Thanks looneytunesfan! :)