Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This taco bake is different in that it includes beans and the tacos actually stand up in the beans. It's pretty and very tasty. The recipe comes from Cook's Country and they haven't let me down yet. I like to serves these with guacamole and taco sauce.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (reserve juice)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans (I use home made)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 12 taco shells
- 3 scallions, sliced thin
- Adjust oven rack to upper middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Combine half of tomatoes, beans, hot sauce, and cilantro in bowl. Spread evenly in 13 by 9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
- Cook beef in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Pour off fat, then stir in taco seasoning, remaining tomatoes, and reserved tomato juice. Simmer over medium-low heat until thickened and nearly dry, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon cheese into each taco shell and top with beef mixture.
- Arrange tacos upright in bean mixture, cover with foil, and bake until bubbling, about 10 minutes.
- Remove foil, top with remaining cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, about 6 minutes. Sprinkle with scallions. Serve.
OK I thought it was just me. I'd made this recipe twice. One time I was kind of embarrassed because I made these for my parents when I first moved out of their house. They were quite soggy. I didn't think they were supposed to be that way. However, reading these reviews, I guess they are :-(
Love this dish! I didn't add cilantro or green chiles. I also forgot to add cheese on bottom of taco but will try next time. Changes i will make next time would be to sprinke taco seasonings on top of the bean mixture,,,,and add a spoonful of salsa on top of beef mixture than sprinkle cheese on top of that. Well recieved at this house and I will def make again
Hmmm not our style, for the amount of cheese and beef and taco's id rather just make taco's.