1/1 Photo of Beef & Sweet Potato Stew (Slow Cooker)
4 hrs 25 mins
Chandra M's Note:
This stew is an entire meal, veggies and all. It is thickened just before serving with ground toasted rice, which gives it nice toasted undertones. I am sure other veggies could be added, but I think the green bean sweet potato combo is pretty good. Adapted from Secrets of Slow Cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1-2-inch chunks (I use a chuck roast & cut it up)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks (or 1 large)
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup basmati rice
- 1/2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/3 cup dried apricot, halved
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1Season the beef with salt & pepper.
- 2Heat the oil over medium high heat and a large skillet.
- 3Brown all sides of the beef in batches, transfer browned beef to the slow cooker.
- 4Deglaze the skillet with 1.5 cups water and pour the liquid over the beef.
- 5Add the spices and stir to combine.
- 6Layer the onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes over the beef.
- 7Cook on the low setting for 4 hours or until the beef is tender, and the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork but retain their shape.
- 8Meanwhile, toast the rice in a small skillet over medium-high heat until just browned.
- 9Transfer to a plate or bowl to cool.
- 10When cool, run through a spice mill or coffee grinder until it is a fine powder.
- 11Also grind half of the peanuts.
- 12Coarsely chop the other half of the peanuts.
- 13Add the powdered rice and ground peanuts to the cooker and stir gently, taking care not to smash the potatoes.
- 14Bring a small pan with 1" water in the bottom to a boil.
- 15Add the apricots and green beans.
- 16Cook until the green beans are bright green and still slightly crisp (about 5 minutes).
- 17Drain and stir the beans & apricots into the stew.
- 18Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- 19Serve sprinkled with the chopped peanuts.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef & Sweet Potato Stew (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.9
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.3 g
- Cholesterol 177.0 mg
- Sodium 156.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 10.9 g
- Protein 51.9 g