Recipe by Chandra M
This stew is an entire meal, veggies and all. It is thickened just before serving with ground toasted rice, which gives it nice toasted undertones. I am sure other veggies could be added, but I think the green bean sweet potato combo is pretty good. Adapted from Secrets of Slow Cooking.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef stew meat, cut in 1-2-inch chunks (I use a chuck roast & cut it up)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks (or 1 large)
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, halved
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- salt & pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the beef with salt & pepper.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat and a large skillet.
- Brown all sides of the beef in batches, transfer browned beef to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the skillet with 1.5 cups water and pour the liquid over the beef.
- Add the spices and stir to combine.
- Layer the onions, garlic, and sweet potatoes over the beef.
- Cook on the low setting for 4 hours or until the beef is tender, and the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork but retain their shape.
- Meanwhile, toast the rice in a small skillet over medium-high heat until just browned.
- Transfer to a plate or bowl to cool.
- When cool, run through a spice mill or coffee grinder until it is a fine powder.
- Also grind half of the peanuts.
- Coarsely chop the other half of the peanuts.
- Add the powdered rice and ground peanuts to the cooker and stir gently, taking care not to smash the potatoes.
- Bring a small pan with 1" water in the bottom to a boil.
- Add the apricots and green beans.
- Cook until the green beans are bright green and still slightly crisp (about 5 minutes).
- Drain and stir the beans & apricots into the stew.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with the chopped peanuts.