Recipe by daisygrl64
I found this recipe on the internet. I enjoyed it tremendously. I was asked to post the recipe so here it is. Preparation and cooking time I gave are appropriate because I didn't time it when I cooked this dish.
Top Tweak by Beijing Barb
Reduce the 4 cups of water and use water & canned coconut milk. Consider adding coconut milk powder to alleviate the wateryness of the stew. It should be thicker and creamier, but still spicey.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or more according to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix beef, salt and turmeric. Heat oil in a pot on medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger and saute 3 minute
- Add the beef mix and spices and saute 5 minute
- Add the water, cover and simmer until beef tender.
- Add potatoes and simmer another 20 minute.
- Serve over top of rice or as a stew with Nana bread.
- Note: If your curry is a bit on the bitter side, add a pinch of sugar (or more to your liking) when adding the sweet potatoes.