Recipe by HokiesMom
From Simple and Delicious - a tasty way to have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes. This is a combination microwave and stove-top recipe.
Top Review by jessica_emerson
This recipe is amazingly delicious, and -very- easy to make! I didn't have any marinara sauce so I created my own using a can of tomato soup and some seaonings (pepper, garlic/onion powder, seasoning salt, flour to thicken). I also only had one zucchini, which made for plenty of leftover stuffing. The microwaving instructions for the squash itself works not only on zucchini, but on zephyr squash, yellow squash, etc - my next attempt will be on scallop squash. Times may need adjusting depending on the size of the squash used, of course.
Again, this was an absolutely amazing recipe. Thank you so much for posting!
- 4 medium zucchini
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 118.29 ml sweet onion, chopped
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml marinara sauce
- 59.14 ml seasoned bread crumbs
- salt and pepper (to taste and dietary needs)
- 236.59 ml monterey jack cheese, shredded, divided
- 236.59 ml marinara sauce, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each so they sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4 inch shell.
- Place shells in an ungreased 13x9 microwave safe dish (or any size that will fit all four pieces - mine is round). Turn off turntable setting on microwave (I remove the turntable).
- Cover dish and microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until crisp tender; drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and broken up well; drain.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in egg, marinara sauce, bread crumbs, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Spoon about a 1/4 cup into each shell. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese then microwave for 3-4 minutes longer until thermometer inserted into filling read 160°F.
- Serve with warmed up marinara sauce for each serving for dipping.