Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
From TOH - yet to try.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Stir in water, milk and oil with a fork until a ball forms.
- Gently knead dough on a lightly floured surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover bowl and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Divide into four portions and roll each into a 6 1/2" circle.
- Fry each circle, one at a time in oil heated to 375 degrees for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is brown and crumbly.
- Drain any oil.
- Stir in the salt, garlic powder and pepper.
- In a separate saucepan, combine soup, broth, chilies and onion powder.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Cut a slit in the side of each sopaipilla.
- Fill with 1/2 cup meat mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Serve with sauce.
I love these!! I don't use the green chilies in the sauce and use onion powder rather than onions in the filling. I also use a dash of red pepper flakes in the filling. The filling freezes nicely too. I spent 20 minutes last night trying to remember where this recipe was, and thought I'd tuck it here for safe keeping. So glad that you had already.