Recipe by Jackie #6
Most manicotti recipes are made with cheese. My family has always enjoyed this one, because it's stuffed with meat.
Top Review by darthlaurie
This is the manicotti recipe my mom used. I'm so happy to see it here! This is a really great recipe on its own, but last night I switched it up a bit. I made my own pasta sauce (see Darthlaurie's Indispensable Pasta Sauce recipe) and I decided to generously season the meat with onion powder, Italian seasoning, and of course salt and pepper. This made the recipe go from tasty comfort food to decadent Sunday dinner. Thanks for posting the long lost super easy recipe, Jackie!
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces grated part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices bread, cubed
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (26 ounce) jar meatless spaghetti sauce
- grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef & drain.
- Cook manicotti using package directions.
- Do not drain. Run cold water over it until water in pan is cold; leave manicotti in water until needed.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef, egg, mozzarella, bread, milk, salt & pepper. Stuff each manicotti shell. Place in greased 13x9x2" baking pan. Pour spaghetti sauce over top, cover with foil & bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes. (1 hour if made ahead & chilled.).
- Pass grated parmesan cheese when serving.