Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
In the immortal words of Johnny Carson - "Believe it, or stuff it!"
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground round
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 16 fluid ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons emeril lagasse's Italian spices
- 1 teaspoon low-sodium beef bouillon powder (or equivalent cube)
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 loaf French bread
- Brown the ground beef in oil.
- Drain the beef, and then add the tomato sauce, onion, parsley, Italian Essence, bouillon powder, and garlic.
- Heat to boiling, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes; cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cheeses, egg, and mushrooms.
- Cut a 1½-inch horizontal slice off the top of the French bread loaf.
- Remove the center portion of bread, leaving 1-inch-thick sides of the bread shell.
- Put the beef mixture in the loaf and wrap in a large piece of buttered aluminum foil.
- Bake at 300°F for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil.
- If desired, sprinkle with an additional ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella cheese and return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.