Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is like a loose meat sandwich. A local drive in diner serves these but they close during the winter. I was thrilled when I found this redcipe in the Taste of Home magazine so that I now can enjoy this sandwich year round.
- 1 loaf French bread, 1 pound
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices American cheese
- Cut off top of bread. Carefully hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/2 inch shell.
- Cut removed bread into small cubes; set aside.
- In a skillet, brown beef; drain.
- Add soup, celery, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the reserved bread cubes.
- Spread into bread shell.
- Top with cheese.
- Replace bread top.
- Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.