Top Review by Jules
We tend to like things that are spicy, so this was a little bland. If I make it again, I will definitely add some more spices to the filling, since it's one of those recipes that can be adjusted to your taste. Great thing to do with squash, though, especially since it's so inexpensive now.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1⁄2 lb beef, ground
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sharp American cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Sprinkle squash with a little salt. Bake, cut side down in a 10 x 6 x 2-inch baking dish at 350 degrees until tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Cook beef, onions and celery until meat is brown.
- Drain off fat; stir in flour, salt and sage.
- Add milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in rice. Turn squash, cut side up, and fill with meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Top with cheese. Bake 3 minutes.