Recipe by Pinkytz
Savory and attractive dinner for two. Paired with a salad it's a complete meal. I've adapted this recipe from one in the "BH&G All-time Favorite Casseroles" cookbook from the '70's.
- 1 acorn squash
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (to taste) or 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup rice, cooked
- 2 tablespoons almonds, slivered (optional)
- 2 tablespoons green olives, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄4 cup cheese, of choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half.
- Discard seeds and sprinkle squash with a little salt.
- Bake, cut side down in baking dish, at 350 degrees till tender, 45-50 minutes.
- Cook beef, onion, and celery till meat is brown.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in flour, salt and sage.
- Add milk.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in rice, olives and almonds.
- Turn squash cut side up in dish; fill.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.