- 2 -3 lbs lean stewing beef or 2 -3 lbs beef, strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, cut up in large chunks
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons HP steak sauce
- 2 tablespoons beef bovril powder or 2 tablespoons liquid
- 3 bay leaves
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons no salt becel margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour
- fat free sour cream (optional)
- 1.5 (12 ounce) packagesof yolk free egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- In large sauce pan heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and saute beef strips until brown. Sprinkle with ground pepper. Remove from pan and place in a deep pot.
- Add onions and mushrooms to pan and saute until golden. Add to pot.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and add to pot. Add beef broth, ketchup, HP sauce, beef bovril, worcestershire sauce and bay leaves to pot. Cover and simmer (low simmer) for 2 hours.
- Mix the margarine and flour together with a fork in a bowl. Bring stroganoff to a boil and add a teaspoon of this mixture at a time to the stroganoff, until you get your desired thickness. Lower heat and add as much sour cream as you like. I'm not a big sour cream person, so I just add about 1/2 a cup.
- Boil egg noodles until al dente, drain and add to individual serving bowls. Top with stroganoff and sprinkle a little of dill on top.