Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cheaper cuts of meat can be substituted, but the sirloin is nice especially for dinner guests. This is an easy American version of Stroganov. I also posted the traditional Russian version (Beef Stroganov (Sauteed Beef in Sour-Cream Sauce)).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless sirloin steaks, slightly frozen
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 3 cups wide egg noodles or 3 cups rice, prepared according to package directions
- Trim all fat from steak, and cut across the grain into 1/4" wide strips.
- Combine flour with salt & pepper and dredge meat lightly in mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until very hot, drop in garlic and steak and saute until meat is browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add mushrooms, broth, ketchup, butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and onion soup mix; mix well.
- Cover and cook on low heat for about an hour.
- Just before serving add the sour cream, stirring just until blended.
- Serve over noodles or rice.