Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Ultra comfort-food for my daughter, when she comes home from college! Be sure to use arborio rice, and keep stirring. Although risotto is usually a side dish, this is DEFINATELY a main-course in my book!
- 1 lb good ground beef (not too lean)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, fresh sliced into big chunks
- 1⁄4 cup very dry sherry
- 3 dashes hot sauce (I use Pick-a-Peppa or Tabasco)
- 3 -4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups beef broth (homemade, or enrich standard beef broth with Knorr beef concentrate)
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- Preheat large Dutch oven sized pot. Season ground beef with salt & pepper. Brown, but don't over cook. Drain if necessary (leave some for cooking onions & mushrooms) and remove to plate.
- In same pan, add a little olive oil if necessary. Sauté mushrooms until caramelized. Set aside in a bowl. Into same pan, add diced onion until almost caramelized. Add sherry, hot sauce, Worcestershire, mushroom powder, and garlic powder. Cook 2-3 more minutes.
- Add rice and stir well. Add broth ¾ cup at a time. Cook down - stirring often until almost absorbed, but loose. Total should be about 20 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, butter, Parmesan, and sour cream. Stir well. Cook 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately, topped with chopped fresh chives.
- Should be creamy and RICH!
This was very good and I will make it again. It was quick and easy to make... I didn't have any sherry so I used red wine, but good just the same. Thank You for posting this :)
I love risotto in general and I love this variation of it, too. I did not use the mushrooms or hot sauce and it was still delicious. It was creamy and full of flavor. I wasn't sure what to do with the ground beef as the recipe never mentioned it after cooking it. So, I added about 1/2 pound back in at the same time I added the butter, sour cream, and parmesan. To me 1 pound would have been WAY too much. 1/2 pound was perfect. Thanks for the recipe.
great tasty recipe thats easy to cook. I also used red wine as that what I had available. My kids even liked and ate the mushromms with out too much fuss.