Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
I have seen a lot of recipes for beef stroganoff, but this is the best one I have ever eaten.
Make and share this Beef Stroganoff--- Pretty Simple, Very Delicious recipe from Food.com.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs stewing beef or 3 1⁄2 lbs round steaks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil (or sufficient to brown the stew beef and fry the onions)
- 2 cups milk (more if needed to thin sauce)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon dill weed (packaged)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (not hot)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces of uncooked egg noodles
- Spread meat out on chopping board and tenderize with meat cleaver, heavy knife or meat mallet, pounding to break the tough fiber in the meat.
- If not stew beef and not already cut into bite sized pieces, cut round steak into strips about 1/2 inch by 2 inches long after tenderizing the whole steak first.
- Dredge lightly salted, peppered beef in flour and in a large skillet, brown beef strips over high heat in hot oil until meat is well browned on all sides.
- Remove meat from skillet. To skillet with meat drippings add the onion and sauté onions for 5-10 minutes as needed to be become soft. Remove onion and set aside.Drain off excess oil from skillet, while retaining drippings left behind from frying meat and onions.
- Get a large cooking vessel ready: either dutch oven or kettle ready to make the rest of this recipe, as a skillet will not hold it all.
- In large vessel, place all the browned meat, the sautéed onions and all the drippings from the frying pan into the skillet.
- Heat dutch oven or kettle with meat, onions and drippings, heat until good and hot.
- Put in the entire contents of all the condensed soup cans, and the entire amount of sour cream.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Do not let this dish boil, or sour cream in the sauce will break down).
- Mix in dill weed and the 2 teaspoons of paprika.
- When sour cream and soup have melted, a little at a time, stir in enough milk to make the sauce the consistency of normal gravy. You needn't use all the milk called for in recipe if it isn't all necessary to thin the sauce. Stir all around gently. Cover and let gently heat and blend over low-simmer. You will want the sauce to steam but NOT boil.
- You now have your beef stroganoff. Adjust salt and keep on low simmer until ready to serve, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- While stroganoff is simmering on very low heat (warm setting, basically) you can prepare and boil the egg noodles according to package directions.
- To serve, put stroganoff in a serving vessel and sprinkle the remaining paprika over the top for color (and additional flavor).
- Serve over hot cooked egg noodles.