1 hr 20 mins
I have seen a lot of recipes for beef stroganoff, but this is the best one I have ever eaten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs stewing beef or 3 1/2 lbs round steaks
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cooking oil (or sufficient to brown the stew beef and fry the onions)
- 2 cups milk (more if needed to thin sauce)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon dill weed (packaged)
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (not hot)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 16 ounces of uncooked egg noodles
- 1Spread meat out on chopping board and tenderize with meat cleaver, heavy knife or meat mallet, pounding to break the tough fiber in the meat.
- 2If not stew beef and not already cut into bite sized pieces, cut round steak into strips about 1/2 inch by 2 inches long after tenderizing the whole steak first.
- 3Dredge lightly salted, peppered beef in flour and in a large skillet, brown beef strips over high heat in hot oil until meat is well browned on all sides.
- 4Remove meat from skillet. To skillet with meat drippings add the onion and sauté onions for 5-10 minutes as needed to be become soft. Remove onion and set aside.Drain off excess oil from skillet, while retaining drippings left behind from frying meat and onions.
- 5Get a large cooking vessel ready: either dutch oven or kettle ready to make the rest of this recipe, as a skillet will not hold it all.
- 6In large vessel, place all the browned meat, the sautéed onions and all the drippings from the frying pan into the skillet.
- 7Heat dutch oven or kettle with meat, onions and drippings, heat until good and hot.
- 8Put in the entire contents of all the condensed soup cans, and the entire amount of sour cream.
- 9Reduce heat to simmer. Do not let this dish boil, or sour cream in the sauce will break down).
- 10Mix in dill weed and the 2 teaspoons of paprika.
- 11When sour cream and soup have melted, a little at a time, stir in enough milk to make the sauce the consistency of normal gravy. You needn't use all the milk called for in recipe if it isn't all necessary to thin the sauce. Stir all around gently. Cover and let gently heat and blend over low-simmer. You will want the sauce to steam but NOT boil.
- 12You now have your beef stroganoff. Adjust salt and keep on low simmer until ready to serve, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- 13While stroganoff is simmering on very low heat (warm setting, basically) you can prepare and boil the egg noodles according to package directions.
- 14To serve, put stroganoff in a serving vessel and sprinkle the remaining paprika over the top for color (and additional flavor).
- 15Serve over hot cooked egg noodles.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stroganoff--- Pretty Simple, Very Delicious
Serving Size: 1 (708 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1494.1
- Calories from Fat 843
- Total Fat 93.7 g
- Saturated Fat 29.6 g
- Cholesterol 260.6 mg
- Sodium 1527.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 68.4 g