Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Betty Crocker's 125 Low-Caloria Main Dishes, Pg. 26.
Make and share this Beef Stroganoff (Low-Calorie) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb round steak, boneless, lean, about 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon margarine, reduced calorie
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 cups mushrooms, sliced (about 8 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup condensed beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 cups noodles, cooked (or rice)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh & chopped
- Trim fat from beef steak; cut beef with grain into 2-inch strips. Cut strips diagonally across grain into 1/4-inch slices. (For ease in cutting, partially freeze beef, about 1-1/2 hours.).
- Heat margarine in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat; Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened. Stir in beef and mushrooms. Cook about 7 minutes, stirring occacionally, until beef is no longer pink. Stir in wine; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and broth; stir into beef mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened; remove from heat. Stir in pepper and yogurt; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is tender.
- Serve over noodles; sprinkle with parsley.
This was a yummy and quick meal. Everyone enjoyed it! The yogurt instead of sourcream was not noticable, good call!
Simply delicious. I replaced the wine with more broth and had to use canned mushrooms. A very satisfying and stick to the ribs dinner. I put it on lemon pepper pasta. I need to say that it took nowhere near an hour. I started the pasta water and the stroganoff at the same time. The Stroganoff was ready just after the pasta was cooked. The beef was already tender and there wouldn't have been anywhere near enough sauce to simmer for 30 mins. I'd say the whole thing took about 20 mins. Easy, quick and full of flavor. It's a winner for me.