Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a family favorite I use what is left over from a roast. It is so easy to make and always comes out wonderfully! For a hot dinner ready when you get home from work this is great just throw everything in the crock pot and let is do the cooking for you! Plus it uses up that left over roast if you have carrots or potatoes cooked in with the roast you can throw those in also if you wish. Hope you enjoy!
- 1 (3 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (13 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms
- 2 -3 lbs roast, cooked I use leftover roast
- 15 ounces beef stock or 15 ounces use leftover stock, from cooking the roast
- 1 -16 ounce sour cream
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in crock pot and cook on high till roast is very tender and pulling apart, stirring occasionally.
- Turn down to low and serve when you're ready to eat.
- Serve over egg noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes. Enjoy!
LOVED IT! What a great way to use up leftover roast. I overcooked my roast the day before and it was dry and tough. I made this recipe on the stovetop, simmering for about one hour, and it was delicious - the meat was tender! I forgot to add the sourcream, I'll try that next time. Thanks Halloween Cat for a truly helpful recipe.
I hated this. Tasted just like the stroganoff you get from the hospital cafeteria. OTOH, DH thought it was okay so added one star for him. I had to thicken it up some before serving as it was much too runny but other then that, I followed the directions exactly. I couldn't eat more then about two bites before scraping the rest into the garbage. Definitely will not repeat.
Outstanding recipe! I only had 1/2 pkg. of the onion soup mix from another recipe, and cooked the onions and fresh mushrooms together first. Instead of using a crockpot, I let all but the sour cream simmer on the stove top for one hour. Just before serving, I added the sour cream and a splash of sherry. Served over whole wheat egg noodles, we enjoyed this tremendously! A true winner!