Beef Stroganoff for Forty
- Cut all fat, bones and gristle from steaks and cut into 3 x 1 x 1/4 inch pieces of perfectly lean meat.
- In large roasting pan sauté onions in butter until limp then add meat and cook at medium high, stirring until all redness disappears, about half an hour constantly stirring. Add scrubbed, halved mushrooms, consommé, Worcestershire sauce and salt. Stir the flour into the wine with wire whip to a smooth paste and stir in until thickened. At this stage hold hot in oven at 275°F.
- As serving time nears cook noodles in preserving kettle in very large amount of boiling salted water, about 12 minutes.
- Stir sour cream into beef and return to oven to heat it through. Drain noodles.
- Serve Stroganoff from chafing dishes and noodles from outsize bowls or platters.
- The Mary Moore Cookbook.