Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Beef Stroganoff is usually made wirh sour cream, this is a good version with it omitted.
- 1 lb beef, sliced thin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine
- Put beef sliced in brown paper bag with flour and pepper, close and shake well; set aside.
- Melt 2 tbs margarine in large skillet and saute mushrooms. Then remove and set aside.
- Saute onions and garlic together in same pan, then set them aside with mushrooms.
- Add remaining 2 tbs margarine to skillet and add meat. Cook, stirring until meat is just done.
- Crumble the bouillon cube over meat, add dry mustard and water, Stir while bringing to a boil and simmer 2 minutes.
- Add cooked onions and mushrooms, tomato sauce and sherry. Stir briefly until just beginning to simmer.
- Serve over cooked noodle or rice.
This recipe is awesome! With the flavors in this recipe I didn't miss the sour cream at all. I did some substitutions; I used beef tenderloins and double the bouillion, tomato paste and Chardonnay. I also added some paprika and parsley. Thanks for a fabulous non dairy recipe. This hit the spot!
I'll admit, I was skeptical, but I work in a group home and one of the individuals can't have dairy, so I figured I'd give it a try. The sauce was so good I was compelled to scrape all of it off the bottom of the pan and hide in the kitchen while I scarfed it down.
This was great. There are a few changes I would make however (or at least clarifications). When you saute mushrooms, do not do it for more than 2 minutes to keep them crisp, or they become soggy and gross (also add in 1 Tbsp wine to give them more flavor). Onions/garlic should be sauteed for no more than 5 minutes. We used 1/2 of a sweet onion, and 4 cloves of garlic. Also make sure to tenderize the meat before hand, so that it can soak up all of the flavor, and the muscles are not as chewy. I used Smart Balance instead of Margarine (as Marg. is 1 molecule away from plastic and caused cancer in test turkeys). For the spices, we did: 1-4 grinds of black pepper, 1-2 Tbsp 21 Season Salute (from Trader Joes), 1 pinch Paprika, 1 pinch Chili Powder, 3 pinch Italian Seasoning, 3 pinch Hickory Mesquite Seasoning (from Costco)