from Betty Crocker's slow cooker cookbook..excellent. If someone in the family doesn't like mushrooms, run them through the food processor, they will never know.
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can condensed cream of onion soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) container cream cheese, cubed
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 6 cups hot cooked noodles or 6 cups rice, for serving,if desired
- Mix beef, onion, soups, mushrooms and pepper into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender.
- Stir cream cheese and sour cream into beef mixture until cream cheese is melted.
- Serve beef mixture over noodles.
Yummy. I just finished making it for dinner. I actually turned off the pot after 7hrs cause it was already very deliciously tender. I marinated the meat the night before w/ worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and pepper. I didn't have onion soup so I added 2 cans of cream of mushroom, fresh sliced mushrooms and sliced onions instead of diced. After adding the sour cream, add the cream cheese little by little according to your liking. It may not need the whole 8 oz.
I was reluctant to try this recipe due to my finicky children. I was so surprised when they asked for more and now ask for it on a weekly basis. Great flavor and the best part....easy!
We enjoyed this dish. It wasn't quite the same as my mom's beef stroganoff but it came pretty close. I added a couple of tablespoons of worcestershire sauce. I also used nonfat cream cheese and sour cream and low fat canned soup. The sauce was a bit runny so I am taking off one star. Don't know why that happened--maybe because I used nonfat ingredients? It had a great taste anyway and I will make this again. Thanks for posting.