Why oh why is this beef stroganoff ala John? Because he hated mushrooms and believed that a cup of wine could make you drunk. This is a totally gluten-free shroom-o-rama with copious red wine and an unexpected secret ingredient that makes it completely badass.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 -2 lb of sliced sirloin steaks or 1 -2 lb round steaks or 1 -2 lb beef tenderloin steaks or 1 -2 lb whatever kind steak
- 1 tablespoon beef roast seasoning or 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 4 -6 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour (like Bob's RedMill- divided)
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup red wine (divided)
- 1 cup beef broth (divided)
- 1 cup mushroom broth (divided)
- sliced mushrooms (LOTS and LOTS... like AT LEAST 2 cups.)
- 1 onion, sliced in slivers
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 dash balsamic vinegar, 1 extremely healthy splash (since I spilled it on the first go and have never measured since, I'm assuming it was about 3-4 Tbs.)
- salt & pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (OR 1 cup milk or sour cream)
- 1Heat the peanut oil in a dutch oven on medium heat until you can smell it but DO NOT let it smoke.
- 2Roll the steak around in about 3 Tbs. GF flour and season it with roast beef or steak seasoning.
- 3Brown the steak on all sides in the dutch oven.
- 4When the flour starts to stick, deglaze the pan with 1 Tbs. butter and 1/2 cup wine.
- 5Chances are the wine will start to thicken pretty quickly because Gluten-Free flour is an amazing thickener. If it starts to look like wall paper paste it's too thick.
- 6Dabble by adding more liquid (I'd recommend wine or mushroom broth -- probably both.) throw in 1/2 cup of beef broth and 1/2 cup of shroom broth. But remember, this is an inexact science. You want the sauce consistency to be about the same as a cream soup to begin with -- so dabble until it's about right.
- 7Throw in the onions, garlic, thyme and pile in the shrooms. If the shrooms don't out number any single thing in this dish -- you are making it wrong and definitely need to add MORE. (I use shitake and baby bellas in this.).
- 8Finally, add the balsalmic vinegar and bring the pot up to a slow, covered simmer for 10 minutes.
- 9While simmering, melt the rest of the butter in a separate pan and add equal amounts of GF flour. Wisk in the rest of the broth and wine and allow to thicken (it will be gooey, pastey thick -- GF flour is like that.).
- 10Dump the thickening goo into the stroganoff pot and allow the whole thing to cook until the sauce is thickening and the onions/shrooms are done.
- 11Throw in the dairy products and salt and pepper to taste. (I use half and half.).
- 12Being gluten intolerant, I serve this over mashed potatoes but I'm relatively sure it would amazing over egg noodles or served by itself with bread.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Stroganoff Ala John (Aka. 'drunk B**** Stew')
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.8
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 96.9 mg
- Sodium 200.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 23.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef roast seasoning