Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food....and easy to throw together, especially if you have leftover roast or steak, etc. Add a nice green salad and some hot French bread...yum!
- 4 cups cooked lean beef, cut in strips about 1 inch long,1/4 inch wide
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup beef consomme
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole caraway seed
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 2 cups sour cream or 2 cups light sour cream
- In large skillet or dutch oven, saute the onions and mushrooms in the oil and butter until soft.
- Add the beef and cook 10 more minutes.
- Add the beef stock and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Mix the flour and all seasonings with the sour cream and slowly stir into the meat mixture.
- Cook slowly (low heat) until thick, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with noodles.
I served this for lunch today and my parents joined us. We all loved this stroganoff. I was going to freeze some, but there was not enough leftover! I did two things different than instructed by the recipe...I used about 1/4 tsp of caraway seeds as caraway is not a flavor I really like. I prepared this in my large skillet and instead of simmering for a full 30 minutes, I probably simmered for 15 minutes, then added the flour and sour cream mixture. I covered the skillet and placed it in a 350 degree oven and let it cook for about 2 hours, while I was preparing the rest of the meal or playing on Zaar! LOL! It turned out terrific, the meat was tender and the sauce was just the right consistency. I served it over egg noodles! Thanks for a hit, LorenLou!