Recipe by Sarah Montgomery
Phil's Mom's wonderful stroganoff
Top Review by Wandke
My husband and 11 year old son said YUMMY. This is offically my husbands favorite meal now. My "picky" son had 3 servings. I followed recipe but used stew meat and added the dry mustard as suggested by other reviews. It was delicious. Thanks Sarah.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons butter (if using fresh mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained or 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Set sour cream aside to warm to room temperature.
- Saute onions in 3 Tbsp butter.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add consomme, stirring constantly.
- Add catsup, worcestershire, pepper, basil, and nutmeg.
- Simmer at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brown meat, salt and add to completed sauce.
- Add canned mushrooms.
- For fresh mushrooms, saute in 2 Tbsp butter, then add to sauce.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and heat.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Serve with egg noodles or rice.