Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
Phil's Mom's wonderful stroganoff
Make and share this Beef Stroganoff recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs top round steaks, cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons butter (if using fresh mushrooms)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 can beef consomme
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 (6 ounce) can mushrooms, drained or 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Set sour cream aside to warm to room temperature.
- Saute onions in 3 Tbsp butter.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add consomme, stirring constantly.
- Add catsup, worcestershire, pepper, basil, and nutmeg.
- Simmer at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brown meat, salt and add to completed sauce.
- Add canned mushrooms.
- For fresh mushrooms, saute in 2 Tbsp butter, then add to sauce.
- Just before serving, stir in sour cream and heat.
- Do not allow to boil.
- Serve with egg noodles or rice.
My husband and 11 year old son said YUMMY. This is offically my husbands favorite meal now. My "picky" son had 3 servings. I followed recipe but used stew meat and added the dry mustard as suggested by other reviews. It was delicious. Thanks Sarah.
After researching lots of other recipes, I chose this one. What a hit!!! Not too heavy.....just right. However, I must admit that I added a pinch of dried mustard. Other than that, did not change a thing. Again, thanks!
Made exactly as stated, except added 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce in error. So added 1/2 tsp Worcestershire too. Came out great. Used sirloin tips which were more tender. DH LOVED! So did I. This recipe is definitely a keeper!