Recipe by BoxO'Wine
Elegant comfort food that is perfect to serve to dinner guests. Your choice on the cut of beef to be used. Cooking times vary.
Top Review by denise autrey
This is a wonderful recipe and can be varied and still taste great. I used very lean ground beef, low salt beef broth, whole wheat flour, non-fat sour cream and substituted a small amount of olive oil instead of butter. It was wonderful! I also think this will freeze well.
- 1 lb filet mignon (simmer about 15 mins) or 1 sirloin steaks (simmer about 30 mins) or 1 top round steaks (simmer about 1 hour and test meat for tenderness) or 1 chuck steak (simmer about 1 hour and test meat for tenderness)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced or 2 cans mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 can beef broth
- 2 tablespoons catsup
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 package cooked wide egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- cut meat across the grain into 1/2" strips, about 1" long.
- melt butter in large heavy skillet.
- Add mushrooms (if using fresh- if canned do not add) and onion.
- Stir until onion is tender, then remove from skillet and place on side.
- In same skillet, cook meat until light brown.
- measure 1/3 cup of beef broth and place on side.
- Stir in remaining broth, catsup, garlic and salt.
- Cover and simmer- time depends on cut of beef- see above.
- Blend reserved broth and flour to make paste.
- Stir into meat mixture.
- Add mushrooms and onion.
- Heat to boiling, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Let mixture sit to cool down.
- Slowly stir in sour cream and reheat over medium low flame.
- Serve over cooked hot noodles.