Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
No mushroom soup here! This is a fast version that I have had for years. You can substitute ground beef if you wish, use fresh or canned mushrooms, lite or regular sour cream. Family favorite served with corn and a fresh salad.
- 1 lb sirloin or 1 lb round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup onion, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms (if using canned, drain all liquid off)
- 1 cup white wine (I use rhine wine)
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons ground nutmeg (I prefer fresh ground)
- 8 ounces light sour cream (Tillamook brand seems to hold it's texture best)
- sea salt
- white pepper
- 1 cup egg noodles (cooked per package instructions)
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
- Saute the mushrooms with butter and about half of the onion.
- Season the steak strips with salt and pepper, add to the mushrooms and brown the strips.
- Add the white wine and half of the nutmeg, cover and simmer. This can simmer for as little as 5 minutes or as long as 30 minutes. Best it the wine is reduced to at least half. If you want to simmer longer, just add more wine.
- Adjust the seasonings and check to be sure the beef is tender.
- Add the rest of the nutmeg and the dijon mustard.
- Remove from heat, let rest for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add the sour cream and noodles, stirring thoroughly.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley and a sprinkle of nutmeg.