Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
A true Stroganoff has very little sour cream and no mushrooms, tomato paste, or paprika. What makes it special is the spicy mustard. It's best made with beef tenderloin, but if your budget won't allow it, use sirloin.
- 680.38 g beef tenderloin or 680.38 g boneless sirloin, trimmed of fat and cut in 2-inch x 1/2 inch strips
- 1.23-2.46 ml salt (depending upon saltiness of broth and mustard)
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 1 medium size bermuda onion, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 59.16 ml butter or 59.16 ml margarine
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml strong beef stock or 236.59 ml canned condensed beef broth
- 4.92 ml prepared dijon-type mustard
- 59.14 ml sour cream, at room temperature
- Spread beef strips out on heavy brown paper and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Toss to mix, spread out again, top with onion slices, and let stand 2 hours at room temperature. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large, heavy skillet over moderately low heat and blend in flour. Mix in stock and heat, stirring, 3-5 minutes until thickened. Blend in mustard and remove sauce from heat. In a second large skillet, melt remaining butter over moderately high heat, add beef and onions, and brown quickly--this will take about 10 minutes. Add browned beef but not the onion to the sauce, set over moderate heat, cover, and simmer, stirring once or twice, 15 minutes (onion can be saved for hamburgers or stew). Remove from heat, stir in sour cream, and serve. Serve with warm egg noodles. Serves 4.
- Jean Anderson Cooks.
An easy recipe to prepare but the DH and I felt it lacked something, would have like a stronger flavour from the sour cream so would add more next time and would also add mushrooms as we do love them in our stroganoff though the DH appreciated that the onion was not actually in the dish (he has an intolerance to it). Thank you Olha, made for I Recommend and recommended by ElaineAnn.
Very easy and delicious! I used a vidalia onion and left it in the finished recipe. This had just the right amount of sour cream to make a creamy sauce, served with Croatian Flour Noodles. Thanks for sharing Olha. Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup.