Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
A great meal.
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 ounces beef tenderloin, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1⁄4 cup clarified butter
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dried chili, crushed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- flat leaf parsley, Freshly chopped
- In a large saucepan or skillet, combine cold beef stock, flour and red wine.
- Whisk over high heat until mixture is just coming to the boil.
- Add the thyme sprigs and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until mixture is reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, season sliced beef with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- In a Dutch oven or large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of butter over high heat until sizzling.
- In batches, brown beef well, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove beef and reserve.
- Reduce heat to low add remaining 2 tbsp butter to Dutch oven.
- Saute onions and mushrooms until soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add nutmeg, paprika, chile flakes, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and reduced stock and wine.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 more minutes, just to develop the flavours.
- Sauce should be slightly syrupy.
- Add back the reserved beef and stir in the sour cream continue to cook over medium heat until just heated through.
- Adjust the seasoning.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with egg noodles.