Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A family recipe that is sure to please. Easy to make in large quantities, and very forgiving.
- 1 lb stewing beef, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 8 slices onions, extremely thin
- 8 slices green peppers, extremely thin
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jar canned mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package pasta (your choice, I like rotini)
- Brown stew beef (with garlic if desired).
- Add basil, marjoram, rosemary, thyme and bay leaves, bacon (optional), butter, onion, green pepper, bullion cubes (all 6), 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and chicken broth.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours, or until beef is tender and onion and green pepper are dissolved.
- Add remaining cream of mushroom soup, golden mushroom soup, sour cream, wine (optional) and mushrooms.
- Mix well.
- Serve over noodles or rice (or both).
- A hearty roll or bread is recommended to soak up the remaining sauce on the plate.